17. 01. 2017
European Parliament defines a new leader.
On January 17, an election of a new President of the Europarliament is scheduled. At the moment, this post is held by Martin Schulz. He will chair today’s session.
When the head of the European Parliament will be defined, the deputies determine the candidates of vice presidents. Their number is 14 people.
Pretenders for the post of President of Parliament:
- Antonio Tajani, one of the Vice-Presidents of the European Commission, a representative of the European People’s Party.
- Gianni Pittella, Vice-President of the European Parliament, the Democratic candidate.
- Helga Steyvens, Belgian politician, is actively engaged in protecting the rights of people with disabilities.
- Guy Verhofstadt, a representative of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats group.
- Eleanor Forentsa, a politician from Italy, a representative of the European Left Party.
- Jean Lambert, a deputy from the Great Britain.
- Lorenzo Rebega, Romanian politician.