29. 12. 2016
Almost every family has a mercury thermometer. Despite the mass appearance of electronic measuring instruments, thermometers with mercury do not go out of use.
Sometimes inadvertently mercury thermometer can be broken. What should you do in such cases? And what is a danger of such situation to health?
Symptoms of mercury poisoning
- general weakness;
- loss of appetite;
- metal taste in the mouth;
- difficulty in swallowing;
- bleeding gums.
The consequences of poisoning
Vapors, which allocate by mercury is very harmful to human health. Accumulating, fume can provoke the destruction of the nervous system and internal organs.
It is necessary to use a mercury thermometer very carefully. If it is crashed, you must promptly eliminate the consequences.
- Get everyone out of the room, open the windows. It is important not to do drafts. Otherwise, the globes will scatter all over the apartment.
- Be sure to wear a protective mask and gloves.
- Further, to collect metal, use a damp cloth. A syringe or a squirt is also suitable. Place the mercury in the container with water which is closed with a tight lid.
- After gathering the mercury, close the container securely. Take a good look, whether all mercury beads are picked. Examine not only the floor but also your clothes.
- Wash the place using water with bleach or a solution of potassium permanganate. Then clean the surface with soapy water. It is advisable to repeat this procedure several times a week for a month.
Do not gather mercury balls with a vacuum cleaner or a broom. Otherwise, after the application, these devices will have to be discarded. In addition, a broom can divide mercury into smaller particles. It will be more difficult to pick them.
It is prohibited to toss out the mercury in the garbage chute or toilet. It settles on the pipes and will poison the air.
Contact the Department of Emergency Situations, and ask what you should do with the metal. The experts will consult you where a recycling center is situated.
If you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to ask for professional help. Prior to their arrival, it is necessary to take out all the people and animals of the room and close the door tightly.